Mission Trip Update 7/10
What does it take to prepare for a mission trip like this?
I asked this same question, as this will be farthest I have traveled on mission. There are four areas that we have been asked to begin preparing:
- Physical – We will traveling into the “bush”, which is a simple term for a very large area of Zimbabwe that is undeveloped and wild. Their roads can be nothing more than wide trails and homes nothing more than mud huts. There will be much walking involved at “African Pace”, which means long distances and few to no breaks. There will be food available, that we can eat, but often times we will not finish what we eat so that we can share with the children. It will also be very hot during the days. I am walking 5-7 miles per day in an effort to condition my body for the trip. Many times, I will walk in the heat of the day, as well. I am watching my food intake and drinking lots of water. As well, there are a number of medical issues to prepare for.
- Spiritually – Sensitivity to the Spirit is vital in all situations, but especially on mission. Walking closely to the Lord daily is a requirement, along with forming a prayer team. I would like to invite you join my prayer team if you have not already. You will get updates from now till the conclusion of the project, all that is required is a commitment to regular prayer.
- Mentally – Patience go a long way on mission trips. I have to prepare now to deal calmly with stressful situations that may occur there. I am also beginning to journal now as we lead up to the project.
- Emotionally – Fear/panic, home-sickness/crisis, pride/hurt feelings, stamina as all areas about which to be on alert. A proper emotional description for the team members are Flexible – Team Player. We will have travel and warm up/cool down days book-ending the project, but our days among the people will be intense as we minister from 6 am – midnight or later.
Other preparations include equipment, gearing, training. For this Colorado mountain guy, I am struggling to gear appropriately for the trip as all my things are for cold weather camping and hunting. Yet, I am confident that I will have all the right items needed for the project, and I appreciate your prayers in this regard.
- As mentioned previously, please pray for our team members, their needs in regard to the project, and their families.
- I have just started forming my prayer and financial base for the project. Pray that God will raise the finances needed for my portion of the costs and for any items I will have purchase specifically for the project.
- Pray for the hearts of the Tonga people we will be sharing the Gospel with. Pray that their ears will hear and their hearts will receive.
- Pray for our preparations, that we will be able to make all arrangements and be ready to go when it is time.
Thank you for your time. If you are not a team member, please click here to find out how you can get involved.